Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dogs of Ire/Marc Antony split 7” (Ethospine Noise)

First off, this record looks great. The sleeve is a really nice screen printing job on card stock that someone dropped a lot of time/effort on. The vinyl itself if coke bottle clear which has always been a favorite of mine.

Now, into the depths…the Dogs of Ire songs get a little lost in the mix. They put out a really good split 10” with Death to Tyrants that got my hopes up a lot for this one, and I’ll have to admit I didn’t like it as much. Their attitude hasn’t let up one bit, though. “Fuck Your Booking Agent and Your Spineless Band” has to be one of the best song titles ever, and sums up a lot of the bullshit “next level” attitude a lot of "hardcore" bands have nowadays. Reason enough to get into this record, even though the style isn’t really something I’m into.

Marc Antony remind me a lot of Anodyne. It’s noisy, heavy, and crazy enough to make you keep listening when you aren’t 100% sure what’s really going on. This one’s not for the hardcore purist. This falls into the new sort of artsy genre that kind of walks some line between hardcore, metal, and emo. I’m not really sure how I feel about most of the bands that are doing this sort of thing, and these guys are no exception. It's like, at times, I really want to be into it, but I just can't, because you can't really get into a groove with it. But, I guess that's what they're going for.

No comments: