Thursday, August 23, 2007

Population Reduction-”At the Throats of Man Forever” 7" (Tankcrimes)

Population Reduction is the product of two metal geeks from San Francisco recording their own stuff and apparently not taking anything seriously, which is great. I think the downfall of the entire thrash metal genre is how bad it’s gotten lyrically. I can’t take epic poems about Vikings or necrophilia seriously. I question the sanity of people that can. I don’t like the whole space-age Viking with the fucking KISS face paint and arguing/killing each other over who’s “more evil”.

This shit is heavy, but they manage not to sacrifice speed, or pretty cool riffs instead of just chug-a-chug shit (man, I am really jaded today, aren‘t I?). The song “Plague of the Artists” is the perfect way to start off this record, and a good example of the tone of the whole thing. It’s written in the aforementioned style of some ancient epic poem glorifying the pillaging of a village, but it‘s a tongue-in-cheek statement about the current “emo“/“indie rock“ fad taking over mainstream media. “Wielding fucking metal we wage holy war!”

There was more I was going to say about this, but I don’t even think I have to continue. I’ve listened to this record three times in a row and am about to listen to it again.

Population Reduction on MySpace
Buy it on Interpunk (also includes a CD version with a TON of extra tracks)

No comments: