Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Side of Dr. Seuss You Never Saw

I think we all know Dr. Seuss as the sort of off-beat genius of children's literature (I know that since my son was born and I've been reading his books again, but from an adult point-of-view, I certainly see it that way), but his actual art wasn't ever completely public. I stumbled on this site selling originals of Dr. Suess art and found some really weird stuff I wouldn't have expected.

Dr. Suess' work in surrealism is a pretty obvious deviation from his drawings in his books. (See above for a good example of one of his drawings). But I didn't know he sculpted. Not only did he sculpt, but he actually taxidermied animals salvaged from the Forest Park Zoo, where his father was employed, and used pieces of them to "create sculptures based on what he thought these animals would want to be reincarnated as. He called this his 'Collection of Unorthodox Taxidermy'"

Looking at the sculptures, it makes complete sense. They look like something from a Dr. Suess book, I guess. I think, really, they look more like something that would be a Tim Burton adaptation of a Dr. Seuss story.

This isn't what I normally write about on this blog, but it's mine, I'll do what I want!

1 comment:

Niall said...

That is awesome, I hadn't seen these before either.