Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tragedy, English Beat

I heard a rumor today that Tragedy from Portland has broken up. I don't know how valid that is, but if it's true, it's a little sad. Very few bands are able to press their own records, stay out of the big market promotional game, and succeed. They aren't as good as their earlier incarnation His Hero Is Gone, but are great nonetheless. If it's not true...well, fuck internet rumors.



And this...what the hell? After yesterdays post of the Desmond Dekker TV appearance and now finally seeing the English Beat's (aka "The Beat" and "International Beat", depending on where you live/buy records) video for "Save It For Later", I'm starting to question my appreciation for the whole genre. I guess any era of ska is going to be victimized by whatever popular culture is going on at the time. I'm warning you, though...you're probably better off not watching this next one.

No comments: