Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Armed Suspects/Skels split 7" (Pirates Press)

I don't like giving negative reviews. See, I love getting bad reviews. I don't know why. I think I'm one of those John Lydon types that feeds on negativity. But I hate writing bad stuff about somebody else's music. I guess I just feel like anything I write will be read by the band and they'll just pass me as off an asshole because I don't like their music, and I'm not a jaded rock critic so it bothers me. As a result, I have quite a few records that I don't like sitting around waiting to be reviewed, and I'll start with this.

Over the past couple of weeks the Armed Suspects side of this record has grown on me. When I first listened to it, it sounded awful and I couldn't even think of what to write about it, but now it's reached a level of mediocrity that makes it hard to hate, but impossible to like. It's completely forgettable. I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to it, and for the life of me, five minutes after it ends I can't remember what it even really sounds like. Both songs sound a lot like Pressure Point, the first one being along the lines of their earlier, more melodic Oi styled records, and the second song has a lot more of a hardcore edge. It's not awful, but it's really nothing exciting. You should probably just buy a Pressure Point CD instead.

The b side is a Jersey band called the Skels. They're an Irish punk band, which is about the most awful trend to come out in punk in a long time. I hate the whole concept. The Pogues did this 30 years ago, and nothing any American band has done since has even come close, and they just sound ridiculous. It's like Avril Lavigne trying to sing punk rock, it just doesn't work. The only band I've heard in the past few years that's done this well was Blood or Whiskey, and they're actually Irish. Go figure. Anyway, if you ever watched the TV show Whose Line Is It, Anyway? (the American version...the one in the UK was total shit), you might remember a skit they used to do called "Irish Drinking Song", that was a cheesy, simple little melody that was so typically, unashamedly trying to be Irish it was funny in and of itself, before their lyrics were even added. The first song on this record sounds exactly like that. When I first put it on my wife and I immediately started going "Ohhhhhhh, eye-de eye-de eye-de eye-de eye-de eye-de eye!". The second song is a little more interesting, but still does nothing for me. If you're into bands like Flogging Molly or Al Barr era Dropkick Murphy's, you'll probably think this is the greatest thing ever.

Comes on half yellow, half red vinyl. What else do you expect from Pirates Press?

Armed Suspects on MySpace
The Skels on MySpace
Buy It on Interpunk

No comments: