Sunday, October 28, 2007

Joy Division, Billy Bragg

I always loved videos of Joy Division because they don't look anything like they sound, to me. Ian Curtis is so skinny and awkward and his voice just booms out of his tiny little voice box. There's also the fact that even when he makes an effort to dance and "put on a show" I guess, he still looks depressed and desperate as hell. I guess this video comes from a movie about Joy Division, but I never heard of it. I never was a very active Joy Division fan, so the fact that I've never heard of it doesn't mean it's really all that obscure.



And while we're on the subject of awkward British dudes, here's an absolutely ancient video of Billy Bragg doing "Between the Wars" on Top of the Pops. Apparently it's a big deal that he's playing live instead of lip-syncing, as that was what they usually did, I guess. I don't know, I never saw the show before.

4 comments:

FredCore said...

Joy Division was a liberating part of my depressing teenage existence.

Ian EBH said...

I think anyone who discovered Joy Division as a teenager would say that. The "tough" ones who won't admit it just keep it as a guilty pleasure.

Manos99 said...

Yeah, it was almost tradition to mime performances on Top Of The Pops so Billy doing his performance legit was an anomaly. Of course, he's just one (big nosed) guy and a guitar, so it couldn't have been TOO difficult to set up.
In Billy's autobiography STILL SUITABLE FOR MINERS there's a neat bit about this performance where the host asks Billy what the song is about, which Billy describes in detail, and then twenty minutes later the host has to ask him again.

FredCore said...

My new blog post is up. Nothing but love for The Smiths and Morrissey. Check it out!!!