Sunday, October 7, 2007

One Last Shot-From Riches to Rags (SSR) (w/download)

I popped this in after it came in the mail the other day and had it on the background while I was chasing my son around the house. I guess I immediately decided I wasn't really into it. One of the problems with listening to things peripherally is that you don't really soak up what's going on with it, and in this case, not paying attention to this record makes it sound kind of stale. I gave it another shot driving to work the next day and realized I'd made a mistake.

This band walks a really fine line between metal and punk, and they set themselves apart from a lot newer metal bands by proving that they can really can play. I can compare them to Reagan Youth, but that's more in a plain aesthetic sense, the fact that they mix metal riffs with punk vocals and song structures, rather than pointing to how they actually sound. You can hear Sabbath in their sound, you can hear some Anthrax, some Scorpions, and an array of other metal bands, but it would be misleading to call them a metal band. They seem to be taking as much influence from NYC streetpunk bands as they do from metal, and by keeping things down to a mostly mid-tempo rock sound, they're able to achieve a level of character in their songs that a lot of bands mixing metal and punk lack. The riffs are well written, and the guitar work is excellent.

This record isn't perfect by any means. There are a couple times where the guitar solos get overbearing. There are times when they start to meddle in typical bar band fodder, but those times are few and far between. Conceptually, it's great, but they fall short of really breaking out out their mold. This record is definitely worth giving a chance, really giving a chance, but the potential this band shows is far more important than their current documentation.

There is a note on the back of this CD that says "This artist supports filesharing. Unauthorized reproduction of this recording is encouraged and not a violation of anything." Because of this, I have kept the real descriptions, acknowledgements, and comparisons out because I feel it's better to just offer the CD to you to check out, which isn't something I'd normally do. Remember, if you like it, support the band.

Download Riches to Rags
One Last Shot Website
Buy it on CD Baby

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. This band rocks!