Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Peacocks-Touch and Go LP (I Used to Fuck People Like You In Prison)

I don't even know why I'm bothering to attempt to review this because if you've ever heard the Peacocks from Zurich you already know that they're incapable of writing a bad record. They're the only band I can think of that's been around well over a decade (I think closer to two) and manage to make every album better than the last one. Honestly, I'm a little scared of new Peacocks records because it means I appreciate the former one a little less. See, the Peacocks are one of those bands you sort of grow up with. Their last LP, It's Time For... is about growing past punk rock and all the bullshit, but appreciating the outlet more than ever. "Older Than Punk" is the perfect jaded old schooler anthem. I will never forget their show in Chicago last year. It's one of just a couple of times I've seen a band and sang along to every word to every song and was still disappointed that they left certain songs out of their set.

Touch and Go is a lot less poppy than It's Time For.... It's a little more like Angel their second most recent LP, but it's more crafted and a tad more angry. There's a lot more of an American rockabilly edge to it, but they smoke most US rockabilly style bands. They can play so great, but they don't ever overplay or wank, everything is right in place where it should be. You get the slow songs, the fast songs, the rock songs, the sarcastic lyrics, it's all here. It's like a phone call from an old friend.

I feel bad for future generations that will stumble upon this band in hindsight by downloading their MP3s on Soulseek or whatever people will be using at the time. They'll probably love it, but they'll have none of the excitement of anticipating the next release, wondering what their favorite band will come up with next, where they'll go from here. They'll never understand the joy of having this band grow with them, and that's a shame. Long live the Peacocks.

This review pertains to the European version on I Used to Fuck People Like You In Prison Records. The vinyl version is only available through them and is limited to 500 copies on blue wax. There is an American CD version on Stomp Records that has a slightly different track listing (I HATE THAT BECAUSE I'LL HAVE TO BUY IT NOW!)

The Peacocks on MySpace
Buy LP on Interpunk

No comments: