Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Reagan SS-Universal and Triumphant (Rebel Sound)

I let this sit for almost a month after listening to it the first time. It was too good. After their last 7" delivered on my hopes, I was expecting even more out of this, and I honestly couldn't believe it was even better than I expected. I'm too much of a skeptic.

This doesn't sound like their 7"s. This is much more matured. This is more nuanced and it's even darker than their earlier stuff. They put time into putting this together as a solid LP instead of a compilation of some stuff they were writing at the time. This record flows from fast to faster to heavy and sludgy and back to warp speed again. It's all the best parts of Rollins era Black Flag with all the best parts of Minor Threat with none of the bullshit. There's nothing else to even say about this. It seems like Reagan SS reviews are the shortest ones I write, and there's a reason for that. There are only so many times and so many ways you can say something fucking rules. If there is one band that I feel defines underground hardcore right now, it's Reagan SS.

Reagan SS on MySpace
Buy it on Interpunk

No comments: