Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Yo Gabba Gabba

I've been hearing a lot about the new Nickelodeon show Yo Gabba Gabba recently, but since I don't get Nickelodeon, I haven't had a chance to check it out. It seems like all my friends with kids are all over it, and any of my friends who don't have kids who have come across it for some reason are telling me to look into on account of my kids. If you haven't heard about it, the show is a children's developmental program that's produced by the Aquabats. I've been checking it out on YouTube, and it's about what I expected. Funny looking monsters (that look like those Japanese toys that Juxtapoz is always raving about), with a very 80s analog-nintendo-type aesthetic (if that description makes any sense at all.

A friend of mine with a two year old daughter described it to me as a show that shows children the "alternative" families that are becoming more and more common, without really forcing a viewpoint on them. Most of the parents I know are skinheads, punk rockers, or belong to some other variety of subcultural tribe. As a skinhead with a young child, who is married to a girl who dresses like it's 1956 and has lots of tattoos, I can understand the alienation that parents in our situation feel, and that my child will eventually feel since the roles in our family aren't really in tow with the "normal" American family values. I don't see this as a bad thing, and my child shouldn't either. That's why shows like this are important.

This is definitely aimed at a very young crowd, but that's good. It gets them started young. I love the programming. Biz Marky has a "Beat of the Day". The host is straight out of Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, and they have musical guests like the Aggrolites (see below). One clip my aforementioned friend told me about was a skinhead and a rude girl in a messy room, and a cartoon Laurel Aitken gets them to "pick it up!" Children's programming will never be the same (or, let's hope not!)

Here's a brief "behind the scenes" look at the show, via Nickelodeon:


Here's the Aggrolites on the show:


And the Laurel Aitken clip!:

2 comments:

wess said...

Those first two videos aren't available any more.

Even if my dad would have played ska music to try and trick me into cleaning my room when I was a kid I still wouldn't have done it.

Colin said...

Did you hear about the live concert tour? The little ones loved it (and I couldn't help but have a blast too!) I just came across their web store, they have a bunch of fun clothing and goodies up there.
Check it out:
http://yogabbagabba.frontgatetickets.com/merch/