Monday, January 14, 2008

Lecsa-Punk-Legalis Pusztitas CD review


Here's another band that's been around for 15 years that I've never heard of. Lecsa-Punk are from Hungary, and I guess are pretty big in Europe (their show creds list them as having played with Vice Squad, Conflict, Poison Idea, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, etcetc), but I believe this is only their second full length. They fall pretty safely into the whole anarko/peace punk genre.

The music on this reminds me a lot of the Boils. They follow the choppy, heavily minor based guitar riffs that take a lot of influence from metal chord-wise but rhythmically aren't metal at all. I've always liked the aesthetic, and they do it pretty well (but I guess they've had plenty of time to work on their sound). Most of the songs are made up of really catchy, dark riffs with interesting changes. The only song that really fails on the record is "Versenges", which has some cool parts, but sounds like a bunch of riffs leftover that didn't fit into the other songs, so it comes across as directionless.

The vocal delivery isn't as angry as I would have expected based on the super political lyrics. I guess that's another bone I have to pick with most crust bands, they write songs on these really serious subjects that they want to draw attention to, but a lot of them sound kind of insincere in their delivery.

FREE TRACK: "Legalis Pusztitas"

Lecsa-Punk on MySpace
Buy it at Profane Existence

No comments: