Saturday, February 9, 2008

Vitamin X in Chicago 2/8/08

Vitamin X are touring the states for the first time in 4 years. It's a short, two-week stint that is mainly just to get some extra cash while they finish recording their new LP in Chicago (which they actually finished mixing yesterday!).

I caught their show in Chicago at Galaxie last night. I totally forgot a camera, so I don't have any pictures, but the show was great. It was the first time in a looong time when I went to a show and enjoyed every single band that played, and there were five bands on the bill. Cold Shoulder were good, fast hardcore. The best thing about them was the Dave Grohl lookalike on lead guitar that fucking shredded through songs with some killer thrash solos. Poison Planet were good. Fast and tight, good but probably the weakest band that played all night. They seemed to be the most pro-active band on the bill (the singer booked the show), and the singer gave good talks between songs about the importance of DIY and supporting the underground, but he knew to keep it all short as not to sound preachy. Intifada were fucking great. Their singer was a totally awkward looking gangly little kid. He seemed like a really quiet guy who probably told his friends he was going to sing in a hardcore punk band and they laughed. But man, the kid is great. Not only is so sure of himself and his vocals when he gets into a groove, but he wasn't afraid to order around the crowd at a couple points. Their set was definitely impressive, especially considering how young they are. Sin Orden are a Southside band from who ripped through one of the angriest sounding thrashcore sets I've seen a long time. They have a couple of releases out that I regret not picking up, but I'll have to check the shit out in the future. These guys were tight as hell and just nuts to watch. The crowd had been getting crazier for each local as they came on, and people were going nuts by the time these guys started playing, so their set was super energized.

Most of the time, I would have been burned out after watching four bands play full sets before the headliner and would have just wanted to leave (don't you hate that feeling? I feel like I'm like 45), but because all the openers were so great and the crowd was really into everything, I was even more stoked about it then I was when I got there. When Vitamin X got on, The whole room was set to explode, and it did about 5 seconds into their set. Tons of moshing, circle pits, and drum diving (no stage!), that just kept going. The band played a good bit of the stuff I knew, and a good bit of material that was new to me. Some of the stuff I didn't know were brand new songs from their upcoming LP, and some were just tracks on records I don't have, which isn't surprising because they have a ton of releases. There was a cover of the Misfits' "We Bite" that was less than stellar (but who does a really great job covering the Misfits?...why even try?), but also a great cover of "Tied Down" by Negative Approach. There was a pretty good encore that included a cool drum solo and little jam session. They were super tight and fun their entire set. The only thing I didn't like about their set was that some of the gaps between songs were a little too long. When you're playing fast hardcore and your songs are only about a minute long, and you have 2 minute gaps between those songs, it gets a little straining. However, they were great and pretty much what I would have expected from listening to their records so long. Hopefully this won't be the last time I see them.

I found two videos of the show on YouTube. The sound quality is pretty bad on both. The first video is of their cover of "We Bite", and the other video was so muffled I couldn't make out the song, so I'm not posting it.



Here's a much better video from their last US tour. It's from Gilman street.

No comments: