Sunday, April 6, 2008

Where Have I Been?

Currently drinking: Eye of the Hawk Select Ale (Mendocino Brewing Company, Saratoga Springs, NY)

So, for the readers here who don't know me personally, this is what's going on for me right now. March 25th was my 21st birthday. March 24th, I got laid off at my job. I walked into a very labor intensive job that required a lot of studying and putting in a lot of hours. It fucking sucks, and it turns out, I'm not making ANY money (actually coming close to losing money) because it turns out I'm no good at sales because I'm not nearly as big of an asshole as I used to think I was. So, I'm back to square one. It's hard finding good work that actually pays your bills when you're young, married with children, have no marketable skills, and live in a large metropolitan area (Chicago). Hell, I even tried to join the Navy because they send dudes to school for journalism, and they don't even want me because I've got asthma. I'm gonna' wait two months and then lie about it though, so I can spend the rest of my days in a submarine, clacking away on a keyboard while we go all over the world. Considering the amount of drinking I do, I'd almost be Hunter S. Thompson, and that, my friends, would be a good life.

Anyway, that's why there haven't been any updates, and there won't be any updates until I can find steady work and then have leisure time to do this. I have a lot of other things on my plate I want to get done as well. I'm working on my first novel, which is an even better writing outlet. I think, more than anything, the novel is something that I need to write right now rather than just to have something to write to pass some time after a crappy day at work. I'll want proofreaders for it that have more to say than "It sucks!" or "It's awesome!", so if you want to read parts of it before it's finished, hit me up. It's pretty dark, as people should expect from me. Think Chuck Palahniuk with some David Ambrose-esque sort of psychology shit in there, set to a soundtrack of Anodyne's A Lifetime of Grey Skies. Man, you didn't know I read fuckin' books, did you? I'm also playing bass in Government for Hire in Chicago now, and am wanting to do a paper version of Going Through the Motions, which is something I've always wanted to do but have never had the time or motivation tofor. If other people are willing to work with me on it, I could totally see it happening. There are tons of zines coming out of Chicago right now, some are fucking great, some are not so great, and a lot are in Spanish and I can't read a fuckin' work of them after "Hola!", but there aren't many zines being consisistently published and while the Hispanic (Pilsen/Little Village) area in Chicago has a lot of participation and coverage (and rightly so, because the scene is huge and full of great dudes and good bands), the Southside skinhead scene has nothing to show for it. I want to get all the little Southside scenes represented, and fuck the Northside 'cause that shit ain't fuckin' punk!

See you later.

2 comments:

Caution said...

I'll help proofread.
Hit me up on my blog if you need me!

I love your blog by the way. Great shit.

-Caution

Lo-Res Viscera said...

Eye of the Hawk, a.k.a. "I Can't Walk" ha ha...