Thursday, November 27, 2008

Dirty Dead-Carnivorous Lunar Activities (Nothing But a Nightmare) Review

I have to catch up on some review stuff I've been neglecting.

I don't really understand horrorcore as a genre. I mean, I understand psychobilly. I think it's stupid, but I get it, and with psychobilly you at least have a lot of room to experiment with the sound, so there are some really great bands in the genre that stand out among the thousands of terrible ones. I don't think there are any bands in horrorcore that hold that distinction. It's all terrible. And the bands can talk about their list of influences and how broad their musical pallet is all they want, but they're lying. They all sound like Graves-era Misfits and all their songs about the most inane shit they try to pass off as a "statement on the social condition of the United States" or something really pretentious like that. Yeah, I saw Night of the Living Dead, too, and George A. Romero you are not.

I got this CD in the mail on Halloween and I knew it was going to be terrible because it came with a one sheet and I have decided that if you need a one sheet written in third person to send to my blog, you are not a good band. However, it had cool looking Pushead style artwork and a creepy intro and I got really, really stoked. But I shouldn't have, because once the creepy intro was over it turned out to sound exactly like I thought it would. Actually, some of the music isn't that bad, but there's absolutely no range in it at all. There are 26 songs on this CD and they all sound exactly the same. Outside of a couple of intros on songs and a couple of breaks, I can't tell any of this apart. And the vocals are awful. If you can't sing, don't sing. And if you can't sing, especially don't sing and then go and compare yourself to Glenn Danzing, because that is fucking heresy. Maybe if there was more edge in the voice then the parts where he's out of key wouldn't sound so bad. I don't know. There is also a part on "Meet Me at the Morgue"* where the guitar goes completely out of time and for some reason they left in the mix.

MySpace
Interpunk

*Do stupid song titles get you punk points? Because they have 24 of them on this CD plus two covers, one of which is an absolutely terrible (albeit obligatory, I guess) cover of "Hybrid Moments" that is so fast it strips the song of any of it's great qualities. "Hybrid Moments" is my second favorite Misfits song of all time (right after "Children in Heat"), and it's really disappointing to hear it ruined like this. The other cover is "Maneater" by Hall and Oats, which I find completely unnecessary and I'm sick of bands doing "ironic" covers of Top 40 songs and thinking they just came up with a totally new and unique joke to pull on everybody. For the record, though, it's the only song on this CD that's worth listening to.

1 comment:

Blair said...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qh4odwjl4jg

That is a band I think you might like, and I think kinda fits your blog. It is their new ep leak, I included the cover and everything. You should check it out and post, if you think your readers will like it, I like the stuff you put on your blog and I love this, so I assume others will!

Their name is Darling's Cabinet of Sundry Horror, and its kind of like gothic folk/protopunk/indie/circus music, For fans of the birtday party and the violent femmes, and maybe even marilyn manson or Tom waits. If you do post, I'd appreciate it greatly if you could use the
same hosted file, just so I can try to keep track of about how many
times this gets downloaded :)
thanks, hope to hear back from you,
Blair