Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Further On Up the Road

Everybody else is chiming in on this. Sorry that this is just another election entry on your blogroll, but I gotta' say something.

I was raised to be patriotic, and I've most of my life having a conservative view of the world. Most of that hasn't changed, but over the past couple of years I sort of lost a lot of faith in the voting populace of America. I had gotten completely surrounded by religious right wing nuts and I was sort of starting to think that maybe everybody felt that way. I don't really have anything against people that are religious, some of my best friends are at church every Sunday, but I had been exposed to a Midwestern "mega church" culture that mirrored the herd going off to be slaughtered without even knowing where they were going. They were all Republican because that's what the church told them to do be. When Obama was announced as the presidential candidate, it wasn't ever about the issues, it was about the fact that he was ethnically mixed and, while he is an open Christian, had a parent from a Muslim country. The first time I ever heard someone make the comment that they didn't want to "live to see the day that a black Muslim would be elected president of the United States," my immediate response was "Well, then you might as well just go ahead and kill yourself."

Now, I don't agree with Obama on a lot of things. But it would have been stupid for me to expect a third party candidate to come out on top this election, so I can't complain. Honestly, there's a lot I just plain don't like about him, but that's not the point. Barack Obama represents the antithesis of that herd I had grown so accustomed to. I had gotten so scared over the past couple of months that all the chain emails and mud slinging were going to work and we were going to end up with Sarah Palin in a position of power on a national scale. It doesn't matter that I don't like Obama or that I don't agree with him on everything, because the point is that right now America needs a drastic change from the past 8 years, and he represents that change. I like McCain, really, but he's not what we need. He's headstrong and stubborn and won't be taking this country where it needs to go.

Here's to the US taking a chance. Finally.

A Silver Mt. Zion-He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corners of Our Rooms

Post-Rock/Rock-Minimalism/Other-Pretentious-Names-Rock-Journalists-Come-Up-With-That This-Band-Doesn't-Like-To-Be-Called from members of Godspeed! You Black Emperor. This isn't their best album, but it's pretty good and I've been listening to it lately. Check out their later stuff, it's just kind of a stripped down G!YBE. Brought to you by the fine folks at Constellation Records

No comments: