Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I am so fucking bored out of my mind

I don't understand people that are able to work a desk job for years. The longest I ever worked at a desk was for a company in Aurora, IL called Bernina. They're a sewing machine manufacturer and I worked in an office/warehouse building in the technical department repairing sewing machines for about a year and a half. It wasn't all bad because at least I was taking shit apart and thinking about stuff. But this -- phone calls, paperwork, spreadsheets -- this is not the kind of work that people are supposed to do on a day-to-day basis.

Basically, the deal is this. The company I work for (which is actually incorrect syntax...the company I work "with" is much more specific, but that is another entry) handles policies, securities, and stocks sold at independent offices by agents all over the US. A new federal regulation requires us, at the national level, to touch base with customers/investors personally every 36 months to ensure that the information we have on file here is up-to-date. So, we send out the these little mailers with all the information we have and ask them to get back in touch and let us know what's going on. I field those phone calls coming in and keep track of changes in the system. The problem is that people are kind of stupid. They don't read the actual letter, they just look at the top part and assume it's spam, so they call me up and start screaming about how they're going to call their lawyer. Or they ask me what kind of an investment they have because they literally don't remember that they have an IRA until they're told. I just don't get people some days.


The Smiths-The Queen is Dead

How is this album SO FUCKING AWESOME?

1 comment:

Martin said...

I remember buying this record at a record store across the street when I was 16. "Frankly Mr. Shankly" has colored my opinion of work ever since.