Monday, January 12, 2009

You Don't Want to Bite the Hand That Feeds You

Where to even begin? January 2nd was the last show at Birmingham's original Cave9, one of the only all ages DIY punk venues left in the US. The club is continuing in a new spot and I'm not upset about it because I think it will flourish, but it was kind of an emotional night for all of us that sort of considered it moving out of our childhood home. I wasn't happy about the fact that the line-up that night included only two local bands (Ex Members of the Holy Trinity and Legion) and then something like 8 completely over rated touring "hardcore" bands that couldn't give a shit about the scene here and weren't anywhere nearly as good as what's coming out of this city right now. It just felt like the last night was so irrelevent and got over run by all these outsiders who don't ever support shit that came out and talked about how important that club had always been to them even though they were probably only there like twice a year.



Friday night we practiced in Tuscaloosa and I ended up staying in town because we needed to practice again Saturday (we hadn't done anything over the holidays we've got shows with Lewd Acts and Agnostic Front this month) so I wound up at Egan's for the show that night. Silky Snowflake was fun to watch/hear, and the Necronomikids put on a great set of well crafted neo-surf that is definitely worth the time to check out. The guys are/were in a bunch of bands like Green Beret, The Hell, and Model Citizen. Buy their demo and rejoice.



Kings of Nuthin'-Old Habits Die Hard

I don't even know if this has been released yet. I guess this was recorded in '07 and was supposed to have come out that year but kept getting delayed. Maybe it's already out in Europe and just not the US, I don't know. If not, someone needs to release it because it rules. There are two songs with guest vocals and I fucking hate them, but other than that, it's great (and it's 18 songs so 2 duds are forgivable). Great lyrics, great songs, great band. Why aren't they climbing the charts? Via PunkRockOi.

3 comments:

laurent said...

hi
I just want to say that I've been listening to the new korova CD for a few weeks now and it sounds great. I liked the EP but the album is 10 time better. I don't listen to a lot of current HC bands, I find them too generic, but it's not the case here. very angry, dark, intense. great job! I hope you get the attention you deserve.

Anonymous said...

If you could repost the Kings of Nuthin' CD in some way, that would be fantastic. The original link is null and considering the band hasn't even played Boston in about two years, I doubt there's going to be another way to hear it anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

thai ideal blockquote mdtf appendix retooling infant world unasserted irrevocably savour
semelokertes marchimundui