Thursday, February 4, 2010

Religion is Taking People's Lives Every Day

I decided to throw up two records today since they're both just two song singles, and I've somehow mentioned Born Against in almost every post I've made since I started this back. I think. I don't know. Anyway, both of these bands were from New York in the 90s, which was a pretty awesome time for American hardcore. A lot of bands were taking less cues from the Cro-Mags and more from the second Reagan Youth LP (which, by the way, will always be better than Volume 1) and coming up with a lot of heavy riffs that sounded like 45 RPM hardcore record being played at 33 1/3.

Born Against-Eulogy 7"

I think they put out something before this. A demo or a flexi or something. I'm just under the impression this was the second document of this band and not the first. Whatever. It's counted as Vermiform Records number "0.5". The A side is a good introduction to the band, with long, rambling lyrics and no real structure. The B side is a fucking top notch cover of "Riding With Mary" by X.

Eulogy
Riding With Mary (X)

IabhorHer-Crowskin 7"

This is members of Rorschach. I sort of have to be in the right mood to listen to this. I like metal influenced hardcore (and vise versa), but this is pretty much just metal. Sure, it came out on Slap a Ham in the 90s, but come on. That is fucking metal. You hear those vocals? Fucking metal. The sludge breakdown at the end of the A side is pretty awesome. The coolest thing is the cover, which was drawn by Clive Barker.

Crowskin
Splint

And my girlfriend says I don't have good taste in music. Psssssh.

No comments: